Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Top 50 Best Films

Just watched The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Why haven't I heard about this beautiful movie before? It was fantastic! I cried like a baby. The acting was the kind that makes you forget you're watching a movie. The phrasing was revealing and light. It was so good it has inspired me to write a (completely objective) list of the top 50 movies ever produced! Weee! (I'm writing the first 50 that come to me. No doubt some good ones will be left out. So comment about it!)

1. The Royal Tennenbaums
2. Persepolis
3. The Lives of Others
4. When Father Was Away on Business
5. To Kill a Mockingbird
6. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
7. Alien
8. Harold and Maude
9. Pump Up the Volume
10.Mic Macs
11.Edward Scissorhands
12.The Triplets of Belleville
13.UP
14.A Streetcar Named Desire
15.The Jungle Book (live action)
16.Grave of the Fireflies
17.Zombieland
18.Young Frankenstein
19.Nobody Knows
20.Spiderman
21.A State of Mind
22.Social Network
23.Quigley Down Under
24.Indiana Jones The Last Crusade
25.Wallace and Gromit
26.War Games
27.The Right Stuff
28.Life is Beautiful
29.Forrest Gump
30.Hero (w/Dustin Hoffman)
31.The Sound of Music
32.Thelma and Louise
33.Shine
34.Gladiator
35.Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
36.The Magnificent Seven
37.The King and I
38.Tombstone
39.Psycho
40.Želary
41.Brave Heart
42.Star Wars Return of the Jedi
43.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
44.Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
45.Robin Hood (Disney)
46.Ben Hur
47.Gypsy
48.The War of the Buttons
49.The Great Escape
50.One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

What are your 10 all-time faves?
I really wanted to include Anne of Green Gables and the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice, but I guess these don't count as movies... I should probably just make more lists. Lots of them!

6 comments:

  1. these aren't really "best of all time" kinds of films, but they're just movies that i like a lot a lot a lot. so: clueless, slacker, swimming upstream, erin brockovich, gattaca, girl interrupted, boys don't cry, the believer, kinsey, this is england. and, of course, there are plenty more that i can't think of now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more good ones! anywhere but here, catch me if you can, goonies, ordinary people, shine, whitewater summer. oh, you already have shine. oh well; deserves another mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd really like to watch The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It's one of my favorite books!

    I would add The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, 24 Eyes, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Beauty and the Beast. Oh, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Milo and Otis, A Christmas Story and Annie Hall. And Sita Sings the Blues! (which you should totally watch because it's free online at http://sitasingstheblues.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's see, since I've written the blog I've seen a few more films, including some of the one's you've mentioned. The Shining would definitely go on an updated list, as would This is England.

    ReplyDelete